The Team Recognition Award recognizes a group or team of staff and faculty (and possibly students) who exemplify cooperation, collaboration, and open communication. The group receiving the award must be comprised of supportive team players who worked in partnership on a project that significantly advanced departmental goals and/or university mission.
To be considered, the team must meet the following criteria:
- Build effective collaborative relationships across different work units, groups or departments within the organization
- Contribute to a group effort having a significant impact on departmental goals and/or university mission
- Work to reach agreements while considering multiple perspectives
- Create a team environment that promotes cooperation, communication, trust, and respect for differences
- Develop a partnership that seeks input and involvement of those affected by decisions
- Place team goals above personal goals while achieving a distinctive result or product
- All nominations must be submitted via the on-line nomination form. The deadline for nominations is Friday, June 21, 2019.
- You may use this document in advance, as a prompt for drafting nomination responses using any word processing software, and then copy and paste answers into the on-line nomination form when you are ready.
- Nominations may be made by any university faculty or staff member. The team of faculty and/or staff may also include students.
- The president, provost, and vice presidents will review all nominations and make the final selection.
The winning team will be recognized at Opening Convocation on Thursday, September 19, 2019.
2018 Recipient: Sustainability Action Plan Team
The Sustainability Action Plan Team is comprised of students, staff, faculty and administrators representing every division of the University, the Associated Students, and the WWU Foundation. Following a charge from President Bruce Shepard in 2014 to review the President’s Climate Commitment and the 2010 Climate Action Plan, the Sustainability Advisory Committee led the development of Western’s first-ever 20 year Sustainability Action Plan over the course of 18 months of facilitated collaboration and campus-wide input.
The Sustainability Action Plan addresses the continuing need for programs that improve and enhance Western’s commitment to sustainability in all of its operations, sets a vision for growing the intellectual and curricular scope of sustainability in the academic sphere, while recognizing the challenges of operating in a budget-constrained environment. The plan identifies goals, strategies, metrics, and benchmarks that collectively will keep Western at the forefront of sustainable universities. The plan was also animated by a desire to recognize the interconnection between environmental protection, social justice, economic vitality and human health. To produce the plan, the Committee engaged the entire campus through a series of public meetings, participatory seminars, and ongoing surveys. Students, faculty, and staff provided over 1,800 comments and suggestions that were integrated into both the strategic goals and the recommended actions and metrics.
Written to complement Western’s Strategic Plan, the Sustainability Action Plan was approved by the Board of Trustees in April, 2018.
INDIVIDUAL TEAM MEMBERS:
Eric Alexander, VU Operations; Carol Berry, Office of Sustainability; Chris Brueske, Facilities Management; Scott Dorough, Facilities Management; Craig Dunn, College of Business and Economics; John Furman, Facilities Management; Suzanne Hamilton, Office of Sustainability; Pete Heilgeist, Office of Business Services; Steve Hollenhorst, Huxley College; Gwen Larned, Office of Sustainability; Travis Tennessen, Center for Service Learning Education; Seth Vidaña, Office of Sustainability; Stephen Wadsworth, University Dining Services; Grace Wang, Environmental Studies